B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases

On 20 Dec 2003 22:59:47 -0800, (Ted Drain)
wrote:

Any thoughts? Part of me thinks I've been thinking about this too
much and should have just picked a plan and started already. However,
with the amount of wood (and $$$) this project will use, I want to
make sure I've got a detailed plan that is going to work well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ted

Design it first. If you think the solid wood back, etc... is required
by the design, go with it.

For the shelves themselves, I'd definitely use plywood with solid
edging for strength. Taking an extra minute when selecting the stock
will help it match. If you use a front edge bigger than the ply, say
1/2 or 3/4" x 1 1/2", you will barely see the edge, and you could
easily add routed profiles, if desired. A front edge larger than a
simple cover strip will also add quite a bit of load capacity to the
shelf. A bit of a high quality dye stain, like Behlens / Mohawk, can
make woods match perfectly without clouding the figure, if that's what
you're after, but practice on scrap.

I do this type of construction all the time with hardwood ply and
solid wood, and it works wonderfully for built-ins. I'm currently
doing a window seat / wall unit out of oak.

One more tip, make sure the plywood is plain sliced, not rotary cut,
as it will look much more like solid wood. All of the walnut ply I've
seen was plain sliced, but it never hurts to ask if you're having it
shipped to you.

Barry