Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Sanding/buffing/polishing epoxy clear coat top

I ended up clear-coating a wooden vanity top with multiple layers of
West Systems epoxy resin and clear coat hardener.

While the clear coat is beautiful and high gloss, no matter how hard I
tried, I ended up with some dust specs in the top layer (and according
to West tech support that is quite common due to the long drying time).

I was wondering whether I could sand out the dust "pimples" and then by
using progressively finer sandpaper or buffing pads restore the gloss
finish.

So specifically,
- Can the gloss be restored by sufficiently fine sandpaper grits (I have
up to 3000) and/or by buffing?

- Will (hand) sanding alone be sufficient by using sufficiently high
grits or do I need to use an orbital buffer/polisher?

- If buffing/polishing is necessary, how would you go about it? (what
types of pads and/or polishes and buffing compounds)

Thanks