Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
danmitch danmitch is offline

Default Holdnig endmills in Morse tapered holders Am I a fool tobuy this mill/drill?

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 25, 11:36 am, Ignoramus30639 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
30639.invalid wrote:

Took me at least a minute, and I had to get a 2 lb sledgehammer to get
one of those MT4 holders ouf of an MT5 adaptor.

I made a cap that screws onto the top of the milling machine spindle
to push the loosened drawbar down and pop a collet without harming the
bearings.

jsw

That's a good idea, assuming a hollow spindle. It saves the spindle
bearings from the jar of driving out the taper.

Recall that most of the Morse tooling I've seen is tanged. As most here
know, but some may not, the tang on such tools is NOT for driving the
cutter. It's nowhere near as strong in transferring torque as a properly
seated taper.

The tang is for ejecting the cutter from the taper using wedges inserted
through holes in the side of the spindle. This is most commonly applied
to drills, but it was obviously also was used with these milling cutters.

Dan Mitchell