Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default sorta OT power question for you world travelers

On 3/24/2010 7:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
My Dell laptop power supply says that it will work on 100-240V, 50 or 60
Hz. Wikipedia sez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

that Japanese receptacles, despite having 100V, 50Hz power are
essentially identical to a NEMA 1-15. However, both "bricks" that I have
use a 3-wire cord instead of a 2-wire like every other laptop I've
had/used, and it's not clear to me if a grounding type Japanese JIS C
8303 recep is the same as a NEMA 5-15 or just "similar," or even if they
are particularly common.

Do I need to pack some kind of adapter plug thing? Or should I just get
a cheater plug and carry that?

Obviously, I have never been to Japan before...

thanks

nate

The Kanto region of Japan has 60 Hz power. But every device I have ever
brought to use over there really didn't care about line frequency.
Laptop bricks certainly don't.

I don't understand what happened that US laptop power bricks now use
grounded plugs. The equipment ground dies at the brick. If you bought
the Japanese power supply for your notebook it would have a two prong
plug that is a tighter tolerance version of NEMA 1-15.

My two older notebooks have NEMA 1-15 plugs.