Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default ARGH!!! brake controller 104

Karl Townsend wrote:

Pressure differential valve needs reset? No make/model....

MikeB

93 ford 350. What the heck is this and how is it done?

Karl

An important safety note now that you've indicated that your tow vehicle
is a 350:

"A nearly new gooseneck trailer followed me home from the auction. Its a
36'
deck over dual tandem axles, 16" truck tires, beaver tail with flip down
ramps. I could safely haul a 25,000 lb. machine using my truck."

Your safe hauling capacity is substantially less than the 25,000# that
you noted earlier.

The maximum 5th wheel / gooseneck Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)
for any configuration of a 2009 model year F350 is 27,000#. The lowest
rating for a DRW configuration is 10,400# and I presume you have a DRW
since you indicated a dump bed. I also believe a 1993 model will be
somewhat less as they have raised the ratings over the years.

I will use the 2009 F350 ratings and presume that your 36' dual tandem
trailer has a dry weight of 5,000# for these calculations, but the
trailer may well weigh more and the trucks GCRW may well be less. I will
also use the lowest possible curb weight for any F350 DRW configuration
of max GCRW capacity at 7,024#. For the dump bed I will assume 1,000#
over a standard pickup bed.

GCRW: 27,000# GCRW: 10,400#
Curb: -7,024# Curb: -7,024#
Dump: -1,000# Dump: -1,000#
Trlr: -5,000# Trlr: -5,000#
--------------- ---------------
Cargo: 13,976# Cargo: -2,624#

As you can see, no possible configuration gets you anywhere near 25,000#
of cargo capacity without vastly exceeding GCRW and the worst case truck
configuration with wimpy engine is over GCRW with the trailer empty.

Please run this calculation with the actual GCRW for your truck
configuration and the actual trailer weight so you know what your safe
cargo capacity really is. This is particularly important since you might
be considered commercial, both from your farm, as well as Federal Motor
Carrier Safety regulations due to weight.

If you want to tow this trailer at full capacity you will need at least
a class 5 truck (F550).