Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default What do you call it/where do you get it?

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:09:34 -0500,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Trying to take close-ups of chips, is there some kind of stand/tripod
to hold a camera pointing downward onto a desk surface?
What do you call it/where do you get it?

If you want really good pictures...

Microscopes usually include good illumination setups.
They often have a 3rd port setup for a camera.
Some have no eye-ball ports, just USB to your computer.

For a chip, you don't need high magnification, at least
relative to what many other people need.

Try searching for inspection microscope or disecting microscope.
Most of what you find will probably be more expensive than you
will like but you might find something that catches your eye
or get some ideas.

I don't need that magnification... I'm just talking macro shots of I/C
packages on PCB's.

...Jim Thompson

A decent basic tripod that allows the pan tilt head to be attached to
the top or bottom of the rising centre stem would probably do what you
want and be flexible enough to cope with most things.

You might also want to get a set of extension rings so you can push the
macro scale a bit further for higher magnification close ups.

A ringflash is an optional extra but they are expensive. Handy if you
need to do a lot of close up macro work without worrying about lighting.
Otherwise a north facing window and a steady hand will do it.

Regards,
Martin Brown