Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Width, Length and other Ambiguities

An edge to edge glue joint is super strong. A face to face glue joint
is super strong. An edge to face glue less strong. This last sentence
is conjecture on my part but it seems to bear out in my experience but
matbe because edges are usually narrow and faces usually wide so the
joint has available leverage to break it.

Your conjecture is false.

The fact that longer pieces confer more leverage doesn't imply anything
about the strength of the joint itself.

And besides, an edge-to-edge joint with the same glue area has at least
as much leverage potential--imagine holding onto the edges of a panel
and bending it over your knee right along the glue join.

Generally speaking a well-constructed long-grain to long-grain glue
joint is as strong as the wood itself regardless of growth ring
orientation. This is a simplification, but one that works in the vast
majority of cases.

Chris