Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default ARGH!!! brake controller 104

"Steve W." wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I bought a brake controller that uses a sensor in the brake line. Today, I
took the brake line apart at the master cylinder, installed the "T" and
sensor. Had my better half pump the brakes while I bled. No big deal, I
thought.

Well, as soon as I started the truck, the brake warning light came on. So I
had the better half pump the brakes while I bled a whole can through the
front wheels. No joy.

I called "the Kid". He said to get a vacuum device from bumper bumper for
only $20. Well, it was $50. But I got it and bled a can through each front
wheel. No sign of bubbles at all. Note: the sensor is on the front set on
the tandem brakes

Still no joy. I got a brake warning light. I just got ****ed and called it a
day. What do I do tomorrow?

Karl

If this 93 has ANY type of ABS you can forget about using a tapped line
for the brake controller. The sensor shows up as a leak to the computer.

Even if it doesn't have ABS it is likely that the sensor has a weaker
spring than the switch in the line which senses brake failure and trips
the light.

These are why nobody uses them any longer. They cause a LOT of problems
in modern braking systems.

Plus the better electronic models do as good if not a better job, and
they are easier to install. Just make sure they are level.

It is a pressure sensor, not a pressure switch. It has essentially no
displacement and will not show as a leak of any kind. The factory
integrated trailer brake controllers use such sensors.

Most likely he has an air bubble trapped in the sensor barrel, as well
as potentially having an ABS bleeding issue.