Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default metric v modular building block sizes?

Rick Hughes wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
Metric sized building blocks (commonly 440 x 100 x 215mm) have been
around since metric sizes arrived in the 70s.

What is the application for 'modular sizes' (eg 390 x 100 x 190 - even
390 x 90 x 190)?

eg

http://www.plasmor.co.uk/html/produc...033e7d91fcfcf4

Is a new standard being introduced? Most block manufacturers websites
show this size in addition to the metric ones.

Also, especially, why 90mm? Anything less than 100mm in a wall leaf
is usually frowned on.

Maybe it's 'effin safely' standard 18" x 9" x 4" dense concrete
blocks might be too heavy for brickies .... I humped cwt bags of cement
about on summer holidays when working for Building companies ... now it's
considered too heavy to lift and 25Kg baby bags are the norm.

Max parcel weight is 35Kg on most things.

We are a nation of wusses these days.

1cwt used to be such a standard load ......... 25kg ? .... I blame the
EEC, never would have happened when the Atlas was pink.