Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Width, Length and other Ambiguities

On 03/24/2010 11:18 AM, wrote:

Let's say you have a board that is 1" thick, 3" wide, 6" long.
The "ends" are where the grain shears off.
The "edges" are the thinner sides.
The "faces" are the wider sides.

But if I were to rip a thin strip off ...say 1/2" wide, so that the smaller
"board" is 1 x 1/2 x 6...have the "edges" and "faces" changed places?
Is the "edge" still the thinner (1/2") side?

Personally I'd say yes. The edge should be the thinnest side that shows
long grain.

Of course it gets tricky if you have pieces with a square cross-section.

Incidentally, for cabinetmaking plywood the second dimension is the
grain direction. So an 8x4 sheet has the grain going the short way.

Chris