Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default metric v modular building block sizes?

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:35:19 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
Metric sized building blocks (commonly 440 x 100 x 215mm) have been
around since metric sizes arrived in the 70s.

What is the application for 'modular sizes' (eg 390 x 100 x 190 - even
390 x 90 x 190)?

eg

http://www.plasmor.co.uk/html/produc...033e7d91fcfcf4

Is a new standard being introduced? Most block manufacturers websites
show this size in addition to the metric ones.

Also, especially, why 90mm? Anything less than 100mm in a wall leaf
is usually frowned on.

Maybe it's 'effin safely' standard 18" x 9" x 4" dense concrete blocks
might be too heavy for brickies .... I humped cwt bags of cement about on
summer holidays when working for Building companies ... now it's considered
too heavy to lift and 25Kg baby bags are the norm.

Probably needed doing. My Brother used to carry 200lb sacks of beans, throw
hay bales up 6 layers etc. when working on a farm. When he worked in
removals, he lifted a heavy, 3/4-seater settee by one end to give it to the
2 blokes at the top of some steps.
He now suffers from arthritis and investigation has shown that most of his
joints are worn out.
I'm 3 years older and have no arthritis - the advantage of light mechanical
and chemical work.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.