Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Cable and Lead thefts

Onetap wrote:
On 23 Mar, 19:35, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Onetap wrote:
On 23 Mar, 18:36, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Clive George wrote:
On 23/03/2010 12:12, js.b1 wrote:
Plastic pipes do not
help - they go after the taps for brass, even taking the grid
covers
in street, in carpark& in the building.
This is all getting a bit reminiscent of the great leap forward.
Which great leap forward was that, then?
There's only one sufficiently famous and relevant to the conversation
about melting down everything for scrap.
well its not sufficiently famous for me to recall it.
Probably this one;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_leap_forward
Sorry, but I cant see how that relates to scarp thefts at all.
There there.
The relevant bit is that they melted down anything they could get their
hands on to make iron, and destroyed much while doing so. Same as with
the scrap thefts.

Oh. But theydid it to satisfy the Party, not make beer money with.- Hide quoted text -

The party members got their beer money out of it (or whatever the
preferred tipple is in those parts). The peasants/workers starved &
froze in their millions.
The other similarity is that all the scrap ends up in China.
The analogy is a bit subtle.

The UK had a similarly brainless program in WW2 when whole districts
were stripped of Victorian and Edwardian cast iron garden & park
railings and gates for scrap metal.
Allegedly, the painted cast iron was unsuitable for it's intended use
and was quietly dumped at sea.

IIRC that was aluminium pans, to make aircraft. The aluminium used for
pans is not of aircraft grade..