Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Would you buy a new Toyota?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:02:02 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
cavelamb writes:

Wes wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

Interesting article about the Toyota electronics problems:

Act of God?
or Act of Code?

http://www.ien.com/ienblog.aspx?id=1...wslname= BLOG
If they really want to know if it is an act of code, publish the code and document the
interfaces and ask the geeks to figure things out.

Wes
--

We tend to treat code as something written (which it is)
but it acts like something mechanical (which it is not).

But the competition between manufacturers is going to keep it as trade
secrets.

And yet, when it comes down to it, the electronics and the code are the
*only* parts in the car that we can't take apart and look at.

Well, actually, you can.
But it's a lot more involved than examining mechanical parts.

And, perhaps an important question...

How can you tell when software is getting worn out?

Software doesn't wear out. works or it doesn't. Problem is, it can
work properly in 99.9% of scenarios, but that last .9% can be
troublesome when that particular condition exists.

If it works today - it works whenever.