Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I clean car battery terminals? and if so how?

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 22:54:29 -0400, blueman wrote:

Perhaps not technically home repair but my car is like an extension of
my home...

Anyway, I noticed that there is a lot of "crud" (grainy white/green
stuff - looks like dried toothpaste) on the positive (red) terminal of
my car battery.

Car otherwise works & looks fine.

Question:
- Is it important to clean the crud off?
- What is the best & also easiest/fastest way to do it?

Thanks

Yes. Use a wire brush. Cover the vent holes and cover the entire
battery case and terminals with a baking soda paste using a
toothbrush. Rinse. Cover both terminals with a thin layer of
Vaseline. Repeat yearly. Check the water level and make sure the
terminal clamps are tight.