Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default O/T: Major Sea Changes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:32:02 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

I just don't understand why Canadians should need to go to the USA.
Here in Britain we have the NHS but we also have private hospitals and
doctors for those that want to pay for them. Not so in Canada?

Not so in Canada. There is no legal private health care in the
Canadian system. That's not to say that no one wants it, because some
companies view Canada as a really profitable business frontier should
they be able to get their hooks into the Canadian health care scene,
but as yet, it hasn't happened.

Mostly, Canadians travel to the US to get health care faster rather
than wait for it to be given to them here. And like a few such as
Danny Williams, the ninth Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, go to
the US for health care because they believe that when you pay out of
pocket for something, you're going to get better service than when
it's government funded. It's an old argument and has not been proven
categorically one way or another, but that hasn't stopped some from
believing it. By most standards, US and Canadian medical educations
are comparable. However, if someone wants to spend their money abroad,
then that's their business.