Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Running AC and cable tv (coax) in exterior walls

noname87 wrote:
Okay, I guess I should post more details.

The wall is 20' long and 16' high at the highest point. I have no
access from below. I have limited to no access from above. I was
hoping to notch the studs 3/4"X3/4". I would need to notch at least 5
studs. The wall is insulated so center drilling would be a lot of
work. The doors open to an covered porch. The TV is only used at night
so glare is not an issue. Ther are no curtains.

As one poster mentioned, I am concerned that watching an TV that is 4
feet above eye level could be uncomfortable. The TV mount can tilt
down about 10 degrees which could help. My other option is to mount
the TV in the corner. Not sure watching the TV on an angle would be
thta much better.

What is the wall on the outside, in the covered porch, sheathed with?
Wood siding, stone, or what? Any way to painlessly open the wall from
that side, like popping off a sheet of siding? Or is there trim out
there, where another band of trim at the line of the top of the door
would not look out of place? Or does the porch ceiling not extend high
enough above the top of the door opening to do you any good? Wiring
through the wall may be a viable solution, if you have a way to get the
coax and power to the porch ceiling area. Will you have any other
devices in the room, like a DVD player, or is this TV slaved off a DVR
downstairs?

At this point, pictures would help. A wide angle shot of the door from
inside and outside, and close-up of the area above the door, from inside
and outside. Can you upload somewhere and post links back here? If we
can see it, some other ideas make occur to us.

--
aem sends...