Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Major Sea Changes

Swingman wrote:

On 3/22/2010 10:50 AM, Upscale wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:34:10 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

We already have a program for the indigent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicaid

I know you do. I just made a mistake in calling it Medicare instead of
Medicaid. The point is, that you have to become indigent to receive
it. Lose everything you own just to get medical aid.

One of our very vocal liberal cousins actually filed suit against
Medicaid last year because her MIL's trust fund, set up for her son, was
taken by the state to pay for her nursing home care. The cousin, et vir
was counting on getting the $30K trust themselves, instead Medicaid and
the State of Arkansas took it.

She is incensed that the $30k should go to reimburse the tax payer,
instead of in her pocket, since it was money her MIL left _her_.

Liberals ... just as long as it's not their money!

Absolutely amazing. My wife had a couple of aunts in Kansas, never
married who, in their later years became ill. One of them needed to go into
a nursing home, the other needed cancer treatment. The state program took
care of both of them with the stipulation that their estates be deeded to
the state upon their deaths. The state then sold the house when they had
both passed away. The families were grateful that the program existed and
had no issue with the idea that the estate would be used to reimburse costs
that neither the aunts nor the immediate family could bear.

Which, by the way, gives the lie to the whole rant from the left about
poor people being left to die if they don't have health insurance.

Rob Leatham