Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Running AC and cable tv (coax) in exterior walls

mm wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:13:04 -0700 (PDT), noname87
wrote:

I want to mount an LCD TV above an 8 foot wide door in my bedroom. I
have to run the wires in the finished exterior insulated wall and had
a few questions.

1) From what I read it is okay to notch load bearing wall provdes the
notch is less than 25% of the depth of the stud. Correct?

2) Is it safe to notch the door header (that way I can run the cables
in the gap between the door and the rough opening)? If so how much?

3) I know runing audio cables in the same notch as the AC cable is not
a good idea. What about coax cable (for cable TV)? I really do not
want to notch and repair two notches per stud.

You can probably test this by running all the same wires outside of
the wall, on the floor if necesary, as close as they would be with one
notch. Tape them together. I presume AC means air conditioning.

Uh, no, he means the a.c. power line to power the TV with. Not gonna be
any hvac ducts in an exterior wall, unless the builder was an idiot.

--
aem sends...