Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Running AC and cable tv (coax) in exterior walls

RBM wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"noname87" wrote in message
I want to mount an LCD TV above an 8 foot wide door in my bedroom. I
have to run the wires in the finished exterior insulated wall and had
a few questions.

1) From what I read it is okay to notch load bearing wall provdes the
notch is less than 25% of the depth of the stud. Correct?

2) Is it safe to notch the door header (that way I can run the cables
in the gap between the door and the rough opening)? If so how much?

3) I know runing audio cables in the same notch as the AC cable is not
a good idea. What about coax cable (for cable TV)? I really do not
want to notch and repair two notches per stud.

Thanks.
If the ceiling height is above 8', you'll probably have cat beams at
around 4'. The door header may not be solid to the sheetrock. I would try
to snake up the wall next to the door then try to open the sheetrock and
drill the studs adjacent to the header and see if there is room to snake
between the header and the sheetrock

Dumb question- what is a cat beam?

--
aem sends...

pieces of 2x installed horizontally between the studs for stiffeners

Oh. Back when I swung a hammer for money, we simply called that blocking
or cross-bracing. Perhaps a regional term? Google didn't find it.

--
aem sends...