Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Running AC and cable tv (coax) in exterior walls

noname87 wrote:
I want to mount an LCD TV above an 8 foot wide door in my bedroom. I
have to run the wires in the finished exterior insulated wall and had
a few questions.

1) From what I read it is okay to notch load bearing wall provdes the
notch is less than 25% of the depth of the stud. Correct?

2) Is it safe to notch the door header (that way I can run the cables
in the gap between the door and the rough opening)? If so how much?

3) I know runing audio cables in the same notch as the AC cable is not
a good idea. What about coax cable (for cable TV)? I really do not
want to notch and repair two notches per stud.

Thanks.

Bad idea for lots of reasons. It seems like a good idea for while lying
in bed, but it is way too high for sustained viewing. And during the
day, light through the door will make the screen hard to see. You can
center-drill studs to 25%, but notching a whole row of studs that deep
weakens the whole wall. If wall is that high, I assume this is a
cathedral ceiling? Feeding from attic into that stud bay would be a lot
better, but you probably don't have an attic above. Second best would be
to feed up from basement into the stud bay beside the door, remove a
strip of drywall above door, and center-drill the studs to the mounting
point. Do you have drapes on this door wall? You could retrim the
doorway and make the casing a little wider, and create a wooden raceway
around the door to run the cables through, by slotting the drywall under
it. (May have to retrim the other doors in the room to match visually,
if the drapes don't disguise the door trim well enough.)

As much as it pains me to throw business their way, you may wanna pay a
visit to local dealer that sells the brackets and fittings- they may
have better ideas. Or ask over in alt.hometheater, or whatever the
appropriate group is called.

--
aem sends...