Posted to alt.home.repair

Default About recalls for runaway cars.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:36:21 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:54:46 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 01:32:51 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:04:18 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:04:22 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:32:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Mar 18, 2:33Â*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:21:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 17, 4:08Â*pm, "h" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

om...

"jamesgangnc" wrote
I defy anyone to drive any time at all with their left foot in the air
above the pedal. Â*Whether they are aware of it or not, they _will_
have their foot touching the pedal.

Harry K

If you have your left foot on the brake you need to hold the foot up.
Resting the front of your foot on the brake pedal is riding the brakes
on many cars. Â*After hours on the road you will relax those muscles.

As a practical matter, you don't hold your foot in the air, nor do you
rest in on the pedal. You keep your foot on the floor just like any other
driver. If you are in a situation where you "may" need the brakes at any
time, you can then elect to move that foot to a ready position, thus the
faster reaction time.

"Faster" than using the right foot, which is already there? Left foot
brakers should not be allowed to drive. Period.- Hide quoted text -

I notice the aficiandos have backed off from 'riding with the foot
above the pedal' to 'only when one expects to use it'. Â*Seems to shoot
down their 'faster reaction time' seeing that the right foot is not
only _already there_ Â*but even a bit closer to the brake since it is
on the gas pedal and alredy off the floor. Â*Of course if one is in
cruise then there is no time advantage at all to eithef foot.

Harry K

None of the aficionados has backed off something. Â*It's the people who
don't know what they are talking about who keep saying left foot
brakers drive around "with their foot above the pedal" as if they have
it there the whole time they are driving. Â*LFBers brake with the left
foot by moving their foot in and out of position just like right foot
brakers do, the main difference is that unlike right foot brakers,
they can maintain position and speed on the throttle with their right
foot Â*while using the left foot to prepare to brake thereby driving in
a smoother manner with greater safety all other things being equal.- Hide quoted text -

If you feel the need to put your left foot over the brake pedal to
prepare to brake, then why would you not simply take your right foot
off the gas FIRST and use it instead?

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for you folks to grasp. LFB
allows me to BE PREPARED at an earlier point in time then one would be
if they used their right foot to brake. If RFB were being used I
would not take my foot off the throttle because the apparent need for
braking would not be high enough to do so.

You need to learn to "drive ahead", or "drive defensively".
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Ashton - you are a
DANGEROUS driver. Glad you are not near me. There are enough like you
on the road up here.

Your comments make it clear that you either didn't read what I wrote
of don't comprehend it since what I laid out is the very essence of
defensive driving X2.

There is nothing safe about a
situation where you still have the throttle applied while anticipating
the need to stop with such urgency that you have a foot hoovering over
the brake pedal.

Again, the concept is not one of immediate urgency, it is one of being
prepared SOONER then one otherwise would be if you were to RFB. It
allows you to gain roughly 50 extra feet of "virtual" following
distance and the ONLY thing you need to do is USE both feet instead of
letting one of your feet just lay there like a dead fish.

If you lift your foot in anticipation, you gain a REAL 50 feet - much
more dependable than "virtual". If you "drive ahead" you can
anticipate what the next 5 -10 cars ahead of you are going to do, and
generally slow down enough WITHOUT USING YOUR BRAKES to handle the
situation.

Your comments make it clear that you either didn't read what I wrote
of don't comprehend it since what I laid out is the very essence of
defensive driving X2.

If I anticipate the need to brake, the FIRST thing I
do is take my foot off the gas pedal. At that point, it's available
to brake. And there is only one action now to take to stop the car,
which is to press the brake. With your method, to bring the car to a
stop requires TWO actions, removing your right foot from the depressed
gas pedal and applying the brake with the left foot. What you
suggest is implicitly unsafe. Capiche?

That's not correct. IF I need to brake the two actions (right foot up
and left foot down) happen simultaneously, not serially. There's
nothing unsafe about it. How do I know? Because I've been doing it
for decades.

And one day it will get you.

Your comments make it clear that you either didn't read what I wrote
of don't comprehend it since what I laid out is the very essence of
defensive driving X2.

I'd like to see any reference for your claim that using two feet is
safer. Find us any online driving reference that recommends it. If
it's safer, why does NJ fail you on the driving test?

I doubt you'll find anyone has ever studied it. As to why it is or is
not recommended, as was pointed out earlier, it used to be taught in
Drivers Ed in some areas. I can only guess why NJ would fail someone,
and most likely it's because most people are like you, which means two
things, one - they right foot brake all the time, two - they think
whatever way they do something is the only acceptable way. No doubt
the guy in charge of setting the pass-fail rules for NJ thinks like
you do and he gets to make the rules.

I'm still waiting for someone to answer this question, ...

If using the left foot to brake is SO confusing and dangerous, how can
you accept flying in an airplane with a pilot that drove to the
airport braking with his right foot and steering with a steering
wheel, but who will "drive" the 767 down the runway steering with his
feet and braking with BOTH feet. Or if he drives a motor cycle he
will drive to the airport shifting his motor cycle with his left foot,
working the throttle with his right hand, and braking with his left
hand and right foot, while working teh clutch with his left hand.
Surely he will be VERY confused and if there is an emergency on
takeoff or landing his hands and feet will just go into spasms from
all the nerve confusion. Or the same basic question as it relates to
someone who drives both a car and a motorcycle.... surely there is
such a difference in how the feet and hands are used in a car versus a
motorcycle that it would be MADNESS for the same person to be allowed
to drive both. For some reason you anti-LFB people will never answer
this.

And it's noted that as always, you and the others are completely
unable to explain why you think using two feet when driving a car is
incredibly confusing and will lead to certain death yet you have no
problems at all flying in an airplane being piloted by a motorcycle
rider. It shows just how inconsistent and irrational you people are
on this subject.

Ashton, I've driven STANDARD SHIFT cars with left foot braking in
competition - I know what is involved and my feet work well together
when it is done for that purpose. The brain needs to be well engaged
when doing it, and it has NOTHING to do with reaction time and
stopping.

I've also left foot braked front drive automatic cars for the same
purpose. On low powered automatics it is not as effective, and with
ABS it doesn't work at all. The practice of jabbing the brake with the
left foot to hang out the rear on a front drive car in competition
started with Saab drivers, where the hand brake acting on the FRONT
wheels of the front drive car, could not be used to break the rear end
loose to slide it through the corners. Then guys like Colin found it
was easier to do it even on cars with rear hand brakes because it
freed up one hand.

Left foot braking an automatic car on the street is a poor and
dangerous practice.

You can make unsupported statements of OPINON as many times as you
want but it doesn't turn it into anything other then YOUR opinion. LFB
on the street is a very safe and very effect way to engage in
defensive driving and as a side benefit it allows for smoother driving
if you are interested in the comfort of your passengers. It does
require a higher level of training and skill and consequently not many
people do it. That is not simply opinion, the PHYSICS of how it is
applied, by the info posted here by others, shows at a minimum there
is a gain of 0.2 seconds (equivalent to nearly 20 feet at 60 mph, a
common freeway speed) if the only thing you do is drive EXACTLY like a
RFB except that you move your left foot into position half a second
sooner then you/they would have moved your/their right foot into
position. That is the MINIMUM gain from LFB and has nothing to do
with MY opinion or anyone else's, it's just a FACT.

Keep believing what you want. Doesn't make it true.

BYE BYE!!!