Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default OT - Cable and Lead thefts

On 22 Mar, 20:50, "John" wrote:
Whenever I read of a copper cable or pipe theft the report inevitably
headlines the replacement cost - or the cost of the damage and not the
likely much smaller scrap value that the theft may have earned the thieves.

I think this appears to make thefts more attractive to the criminal
fraternity. Having seen the price of a length of copper pipe in B&Q, it
hardly seems worth getting caught stealing it and taking it to a scrap
dealer - and possibly sharing the proceeds.

I`m not sure what you are trying to convey here,but this is my story.
I have a small factory unit which is too small for production so I was
using it as a store.Over two years ago when copper was £3.50/kg for
scrap it got broken into and stripped of every bit of copper in the
place.From the main switch out,everything was gone,even the 1.5mm twin
and earths feeding the lights in the offices.Cisterns,washbasins and
sinks were torn from the walls to get the short lengths of copper
going to the taps etc.Machines were smashed to get bits of
brass,aluminium,anything non ferrous.
I reckoned they would have got £1500-2000 for it all.Cost to me over
£40,000.
Do you really think these people don`t know the value of scrap?They
couldn`t give a monkeys about the new cost or the installation cost
because they`re not buying it.But,they know exactly what a bit of
scrap is worth as that`s how they live,on their wits.
To rub salt into the wound the council wouldn`t even consider a
reduction in the rates.
Mark.