Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Trouble starting Honda generator

On Mar 21, 9:36*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:46:16 -0500, wrote:
* * Never, ever use starting fluid (or ether) on a gasoline engine!!
It WILL *damage *the engine to some extent, and it * is very *flamable.
Do *NOT use the stupid mormons advice about this!!

HOGWASH!

Ever see "ether" sprayed into a dragster engine, as it fires up?

That is not ether. It is straight pump gas in a spray bottle.

Carb / ether *spray has never damaged any of my engines. From mowers
to autos.

So you were lucky, that means it's never happened before or never will
happen right? Typical. Most people can't see past their own noses.

Brake cleaner spray if flammable, but never hurt my brakes systems.

Because you're not spraying it at what amounts to a giant electronic
cigarette lighter...

,,," damage *the engine to some extent." *What extent?

To the extent that the connecting rod is sticking out the side of the
crankcase, for one.

An engine in perfect working order does not need starting fluid. If
you need starting fluid to get it running, it has MAJOR problems.

If you're forced to use it, it only takes a whiff to make a huge
difference. Idiots will unload an entire can of the stuff into the
engine.

Old diesels will make one heck of a clatter when they fire after a
shot of ether.