Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I clean car battery terminals? and if so how?

On 3/22/2010 7:19 AM HeyBub spake thus:

hr(bob) wrote:

Its a good idea to prevent future problems. Just remove from the
battery terminal, clean with a wire brush, then put some grease, or
some battery terminal coating on it and your good to go.

If you wash it off, use a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid.

I think it's the reverse: the crud is alkaline. It can be washed off and
neutralized with vinegar or, more easily, with Coca-Cola.

Since the battery innards are acid, the crud is too.

Try it yourself: sprinkle some baking soda on a wet battery top and
you'll see it fizz.

- a Usenet "apology"