Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:50:16 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/21/2010 2:06 PM, Han wrote:

I seem to already have the plugin, but I had to upgrade and reactivate
Cutlist. Now I have version 2006.6.5

Mine's 2009.5.11

Two of my most useful woodworking tools ... hardly ever go into the shop
these days without SU drawings of what I'm going to do, and a CutList
Plus parts list and layout diagrams for cutting.

Holy ****, Batman! I just went to the CutlistPlus.com site and saw
the prices. For only $500, you can have a program tell you how to cut
a freakin' sheet of plywood? Or only $250 for a lesser program? And
$90 for the rock-bottom software? How do they get that? (Cutlist
used to be free.) I guess it helps to be working with tons of ply
daily.

Also absolutely great for pricing jobs. I've routinely updated the
materials database prices whenever I get a purchase invoice. Amazing how
often my BOM estimates using CutList Plus are to the penny, including
tax. I've have the Gold version and have been dead-on with the materials
estimates on a some pretty large kitchens, including doors, drawers, and
hardware, and months in advance.

Cool. I can see where the pricing tool is worth its cost. There sure
aren't many extra features per upgrade step, are there? I'd guess
that cabinetmakers would pretty much be the sole target market for the
Gold edition and cabinet manufacturers the sole target for the
Platinum edition.

Can't afford surprises with the operating margins these days and CLP has
paid for itself many times over in that regard.

Grok that. But if margins are that low, shouldn't you be trying to
get more custom work, Swingy? Hang out on the corner of McMansion and
Main with a sign "Will Do Custom Cabinetry for Food" sign, eh?

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.