Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Should I clean car battery terminals? and if so how?

On Mar 21, 9:54*pm, blueman wrote:
Perhaps not technically home repair but my car is like an extension of
my home...

Anyway, I noticed that there is a lot of "crud" (grainy white/green
stuff - looks like dried toothpaste) on the positive (red) terminal of
my car battery.

Car otherwise works & looks fine.

Question:
- Is it important to clean the crud off?
- What is the best & also easiest/fastest way to do it?

Thanks

Yea clean them good, dont forget the inside of the cable terminal, I
used to clean mine every few years they corroded so bad, then I wore
down the terminals so they would not tighten, and my car would not
start often, I had to make shims, so dont over clean and wear them
down like I did. You also need to clean the battery casing real well
with soap and baking soda, a battery self drains from dirt on the
casing. On my newer car mine dont corrode, they have spraayed a
coating to keep the terminals sealed and i have a battery cover to
keep off dirt. Corrosion may be in part from a bad connection, maybe
grease works as well as a spray sealer I dont really know but get rid
of it, seal the terminals and keep it clean. www.batteryuniversity.com
has good charge and technical data.