Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:16:17 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Mar 20, 5:21*pm, KOS wrote:
Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done
this before just want to ask a couple of questions.
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Thanks!
KOS

I would shut it off to the whole house and underneath the sink. There
has been more than a few times those little valves didnt work so well
after sitting there 20 or 30 years without being used.

Notwithstanding my earlier advice, you remind me. When I was 14 or
so I went on a campaign to fix something regarding our dishwasher. I
turned off the valve and disconnected the smallish supply pipe.
About 6 months later and 6 feet away, the vinyl or asphalt or whatever
was common in 1955 floor tiles started coming loose from the floor.
Neither my mother nor I had any idea why.

It took another 6 months or more to realize the pipe was dripping.

Of course the end of the pipe wasn't visible unless you put your head
on the floor, unlike the OP's project, and he doens't plan to let it
sit for a year iether. (though neither did I plan that.)

Also, when I didn't have a furnace for a few days, I tried filling the
bath tub and letting the hot water humidify and warm the second floor.
AFter the furnace worked again, and since my humidifier was broken, I
kept doing that sometimes. It worked great, but all of a sudden, I
notice that the cold water faucet in the bathtub doesn't turn off all
the way. And the tub was rising drop by drop and would have overflow.

The overflow drain doesn't seem to do anything. So Ilearned if I
tighten it more than I used to have to, it does stop dripping, but
still a warning.

Jimmie