Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - When I get home tonight ...

On 21 Mar 2010 15:28:02 GMT, the infamous Han
scrawled the following:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
om:

Han wrote:
There ought to be a better way than democracy ...

We don't have a democracy, we have a representative republic.
However,
that statement above is still truly frightening. i.e., you are
willing to surrender your personal freedoms to someone who claims to
know better than you what is in your best interests. You are free to
feel that way, but if you do, go find a country that is governed that
way and live there, don't try to force that enslavement on the rest of
us.

I don't think you will ever get it, Mark & Juanita. You are now paying
for their healthcare at emergency room rates. Get them a living wage
job, and have them pay for their own health care.

What is your definition of a living wage, Han? Does it differ by
local, or does one wage fit all, for singles, couples, and couples
with ten children? Should I pay triple wages for a family man when the
single guy is probably in better shape and can do more work for my
pay?

The vast majority of people I have seen in emergency rooms around the
West since 1966 have been non-English speaking Hispanics. What you are
suggesting is illegal (hiring people who aren't supposed to be in the
country in the first place) and naive (thinking that they would
purchase insurance even if they could.) The same goes for the poor,
who also go to the emergency wards

Your idea that this bill is forcing people to do anything is absurd.
They'll get the choice of insurance and even no insurance. But since
someone needs to pay for emergency care, even if they don't, fine them if
they don't get some coverage. That is choice.

That's choice, eh? I can either get insurance (which I don't want and
can't afford) or pay a fine? Pay for coverage or pay for nothing?
You probably think that when the Mafia guys come to a store on your
street and ask for protection money that it's OK, too, don't you? Both
are examples of outright extortion to me. You state that they're not
forcing people to do anything, then saying that they'll be fined if
they don't get insurance. How can you reconcile those two statements
which are in direct conflict?

And yes, I do believe
that people should pay taxes, and this is indeed another tax of sorts. I
would like individual responsibility, but "they" should not have to pay
triply inflated proces just because they don't work for Harvard
University or GM.

How much insurance tax should someone who makes $10,000 per year pay?
Are your taxes thresholded or do the homeless pay, too?

Until the gov't does away with the extravagant fees we pay for
supporting the tens of millions of illegal aliens who are in the
country, the bills we see will be far too high. It's only one of many
reasons that this healthcare bill is neither functionally nor
economically sound.

If the bill is passed today, the _only_ people who will directly
benefit from anything about it will be the attorneys involved on
either side of the courtroom. And the billions wasted could have gone
toward a real healthcare solution. It's truly sad and disgusting.

What we need are extreme measures, COMPLETELY OVERHAULING the
following: the medical system, the pharmaceutical system, the legal
system, the legislative branch of the gov't, and the Border Patrol.
Allowing the latter to actually do their jobs would be a great help to
most of the above systems immediately, but that's just a start.

(And if the above gives you any idea that I'm a racist, feel free to
discard that notion. I'll happily continue to date interracially.)

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.