Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - When I get home tonight ...

Douglas Johnson wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Even the most die-hard
supporter of socialized medicine ought to get the fact that Pelosi has
ripped up the Constitution and is making things up as she goes along.

Exactly what part of the Constitution is being ripped up? Article I,
Section 5
says, in part "Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings,"

I agree, this is an ugly process. But legislation often is. Remember the
old
saw about legislation and sausage. But it doesn't rip up the
Constitution.

-- Doug

You kind of missed the part that states that for a bill to become law, it
must be passed, "in identical form" by both houses of the legislature. That
would *not* be the case with the Demon Pass approach. i.e., the rule would
state that by passing the reconciliation measure, the nationalization of
health care would be "deemed" to have passed without the House actually
voting on it. The whole approach was to give cover to those voting for it
to say they had not voted for the bill, but for the reconciliation measure.
My fervent hope is that most American voters are smart enough to see through
that BS, but then given the results of the previous two elections, that may
be optimistic.

Yes, this process has been used before. However, not for such a
significant measure and in the past had some bipartisan support.

To be perfectly honest with yourself, what would you have thought if the
Bush administration and Republican congress had tried the same approach to
privatizing Social Security?

Rob Leatham