Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Still more on Prius runaway

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:31:57 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:17:21 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , mm wrote:
[...]
Or maybe homer, which stands for home run. It's plural is homers.

s/It's/Its/

"It's" = "It is".
"Its" = possessive form of "It".

One of the most contoversial applications of the apostrophe in
English usage - by all the normal rules, the posessive SHOULD have the
apostrophe, but like a lot of English, it's the exception .

I wasn't trying to make any point or follow any rule. It was just a
typo. Apropos for the subthread. I make many t'ypos on the net.

Actually I make many errors in my typing in general, but I don't
proofread on Usenet as much as I would some of the other things I
write.

It's true that John's, father's, etc. have apostrophes, but his, hers,
ours, and theirs don't. Us'ns does, but not just before the s. So
it doesn't seem to me to be "all" the normal rules. There seems to be
a rule for pronouns that it follows.