Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Tants. So what's the failure mechanism ... ?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 02:24:18 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Anyone read anywhere what the failure mechanism is for solid dielectric caps
of the tantalum variety ? In my experience, no matter what the value,
working voltage, or format (bead, bullet or box), they always seem to fail
leaky. Not open or short (well, very occasionally short). Just leaky.

I've had one particular board where the same tantalum cap (bead) would
go leaky.

All other faults were dead shorts across a supply rail. I must have
replaced over a hundred of them (bead) in all manner of equipment. I
recall seeing one tantalum cap explode and catch fire like a match
head.

- Franc Zabkar