Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default STAINLESS STEEL ?

On 3/20/2010 1:43 PM, RJ wrote:

I've always thought that stainless steel
was impervious to corrosion.

Recently, I was gifted with an engraved "hip flask".
On the bottom, stamped "Stainless Steel"
right next to the "Made in China " imprint.

The enclosed papers warn;
"DO NOT store any liquids in this container
for more than four days ! After that, drain, and rinse."

What aren't they telling me ?

I don't intend to work thru a flask of brandy every four days......

Stainless steel ??

There are many different grades of stainless steel and none are
impervious to corrosion but all have varying degrees of resistance.
Warning is probably general and I cannot imagine that brandy would
corrode the steel. Very acidic liquids, e.g. cola drinks, would be most
corrosive. Think I'd prefer to keep my brandy in a glass bottle.