Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default About recalls for runaway cars.

Jim Yanik wrote:

**IF** the driver is "covering the pedal".
in an -emergency-,they probably will not be covering the pedal.

There are lots of kinds of emergencies. Some are the sudden "Oh, my god" type.
Yes, they most likely won't be covering the pedal. There is the "This could get
ugly" type and they might.

The flip side is what I tell teenagers when they say they are safer drivers
because they've got better reaction times. "If you need reaction time to save
yourself, you screwed up some time earlier".

LFB is the primary cause of riding the brakes.
If a driver has their braking foot on the gas pedal,it cannot be riding the
brakes.
I often see cars where the brake lights flick on and off when I know the
driver isn't braking. They are LFBers. They are a hazard.

I suspect, but can't verify, that LFB reduces the incidence of unintended
acceleration due to driver error. So you pays your money and takes your
chances.

One important thing here;
IMO,the majority of LFB drivers are NOT trained drivers,they're just poorly
trained drivers. The good ones are the exception and not the rule.
Thus it's a bad practice.

I doubt there is any correlation between training and LFB/RFB. Obviously from
this discussion, some of the best trained drivers LFB. But the simple fact is
nearly all drivers are poorly trained, especially when it comes to car handling.

Besides,doesn't it make sense to drive the same manner no matter what type
of car you're driving? Consistency.

As folks have mentioned, it is easy to use your feet differently in different
contexts. You don't get confused about driving vs. walking vs. flying an
airplane or riding a motorcycle. I've always been mildly surprised that there
is enough difference in context between driving a stick vs. an automatic that I
*never* get confused. I mean never in 40 years of going back and forth. YMMV.

I've found the discussion interesting. At least the civil parts of it. I've
learned that the reaction time benefits are less than I've thought. I've
decided that if I were running a driving school for new drivers, I'd teach RFB.
I've also decided that I am going to continue to LFB my automatics. So if you
see a brown '95 Ford Explorer in Dallas, watch out.

-- Doug