Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default How do I cut the ends on these fence rails?

"CW" wrote in message
m...

" wrote in message
Won't fit. No riser attachment :-(

Uhhh...you aren't standing the things on end, you know

Surely, your saw is big enough so you can lay a 4x4 rail flat on the
table
and shove it into the blade at an angle. You know, taper. Or use a
hatchet.

The cuts are not made on a flat face. They are made across 2 faces.
And so they don't fit under it since it must ride in on the V part of
the timber. When it is stood on that edge, the height is right at 6"
or more, remember I said they are not perfectly flat square stock. A
hatchet works ok when making one end, but making 2 parallel ends is
more challenging.

Rough it with an axe, finish with a power hand plane. Use a level to get
both ends in the same plane.

The alternative might be a Log Wizard... http://logwizard.com/

There is one on Craig's List
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/1652772152.html which is how I found