Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT - When I get home tonight ...

Swingman wrote in
:

On 3/20/2010 7:50 AM, Han wrote:
Mark& wrote in news:rOCdnfBjI7-
:

To use this kind of trick to attempt to take over 1/6 of the US
economy is nothing short of stalinist and dictatorial.

You and I are paying for the indigent medical care now already.
Better to get some rules that will prevent personal bankruptcy and/or
death and exhibit some compassion for the less fortunate than this
idea of everyone for themselves AND let the other guy rot.

There ought to be a better way than democracy ...

There is, All you have to do is mumble the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE to
yourself ... it's called a republic, set up specifically to keep the
tyranny of the majority in check, but continually besieged since
creation by those wanting to impose a social democracy.

I respect your position, Han, but I will say this. My forefathers came
here in 1780 _specifically_ to escape the tyranny of a European style
government.

Those who want to dismantle this system, which has protected European
style democracies at great cost in the past, are still free to return
to where they feel more comfortable.

This is in NO way personal, strictly an observation on my part.

I think you and I agree completely on the governance issues, Karl! I am
all in favor of the ideals of the republic. I am against the tyranny of
the unwashed majority (my emphasis, by no means racial, but indicating a
lessening of respect to those who don't think).

In fact, here in Fair Lawn NJ, our Radburn community http://radburn.org
just was awarded by an appellate court decision that is too difficult to
get into here now, but which basically affirms that a non-profit
corporation which is governed by a benevolent sort of old-boys network is
perfectly legal, even when it sets rules and policies and sells land in
moves that a majority of /voting/ residents is against. And that is fine
with me, because the governing body of this National Historic Landmark
has always had the best interests of everyone here at heart.

What we might not agree on is whether national affordable compulsory
health insurance and some more regulation of the health industry are good
things. I have always been lucky with pretty good and affordable health
insurance coverage because of my employment over the years. But I have
also seen a colleague who was forced into COBRA and the expense that
entails. It is not fair that my doctor has to take my insurance payment
(of 30% of his "billing") and the next guy has to pay the full amount (if
he doesn't feel like bargaining).

Etc, etc.

--
Best regards