Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Fridge won't fit, need to cut back countertop

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:24:32 -0500, Roy wrote:

Just bought a new fridge that I measured twice in the store to make
sure it would fit the fridge alcove. I guess I should have measured
three times because when I got it to the house, I found it wouldn't
fit due to the width.

On the left of the fridge is a wall. Can't do much about that. On
the right is a laminate countertop. I estimate I need to shave off
about 1/4" from the countertop to make the fridge fit comfortably. I'm
just unsure the best way to do this.

I've read one source that says a belt sander with some 60 grit paper
will work well, but I think this might be tough to keep a straight
edge with. I've also read that a router will work. I've also thought
I could try to remove the countertop entirely and take it to someone
with a bandsaw so the edge will stay straight.

Thoughts?

I didn't read every reply so maybe someone already suggested this.
What I would do and have done is simply cut off a half inch to an inch
of the existing counter top with an electric jigsaw so you have enough
room for the fridge. It won't be a very straight cut. If that
bothers you get a small piece of wood to use as a piece of trim and
glue it down on the top with the edge nearly butting up against the
side of the fridge. Or you can drill a couple holes and screw it down
to the counter top edge. Sand and finish the wood before you install
it so it looks similar to the cabinets and no one will be the wiser.