Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default About recalls for runaway cars.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:41:53 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:45*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:48:57 -0400, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:53:10 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Mar 17, 11:41*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:28:57 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:33*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 15, 11:23*am, Douglas Johnson wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
using left foot for braking makes it possible for one to apply both brakes
and throttle at the same time.
In most cases,outside of the track,this is not good.

Agreed. *So don't do it.

Besides,just because a state or states "encourages" something does not make
it right or proper. States are not any authority on driving techniques.
That "encouragement" could merely derive from some bureaucrat of the same
bent as you guys.

By the same authority, it doesn't make it wrong. *I was just using it to confirm
my memory that my Michigan driver's ed taught left foot braking.

IMO,operating differently depending on what car you're using means you
aren't developing the reflex or habit that people revert to under
emergencies.Thus,you could,under pressure,use the wrong foot at a critical
time.

This could be a problem, but hasn't for me. *I own both automatics and manuals.
I move between them regularly. *I brake with the appropriate foot without
thinking about it, even in an emergency. *I've *never* screwed it up.

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of controversy this has stirred up. *It's
clear I'm in the minority here and on the net. *That's OK. *In any case, I'm
done with this topic.

-- Doug

It's not the first time and wont' be the last. It usually shows up in
the driving forums though.

I defy anyone to drive any time at all with their left foot in the air
above the pedal. *Whether they are aware of it or not, they _will_
have their foot touching the pedal.

Harry K

Harry, *I've done it for years and my foot doesn't press the pedal. Is
your foot really so insensitive that you can't tell the difference
between when you are touching something and pressing something? *It's
no different then when someone has their foot on the gas pedal, if
they are moving they are pressing the gas and holding it in a fixed
position. *If they are stopped they will merely be touching it and it
won't move yet you can tell you are touching it. *it's the same with
the brakes. *As I said in the other post, these things are skills that
you learn by doing. *If people don't want to learn them it's their
choice, if they learn them poorly, that's their problem, but there is
no doubt that left foot braking can provide shorter reaction times and
smoother driving, all other things being equal, it's just the physics
of the thing.- Hide quoted text -

And you just _know_ that you never activate the brake lights just how?

Harry K

Because doing so causes my lockup torque converter to unlock and
that's very noticeable.- Hide quoted text -

??? Never heard of the brake 'unlocking the torque coverter' but then
I haven't heard of a lot of things. *Any cite for that?

Harry K
It's true, it does unlock the converter, but big, fat, harry deal!!.
So what? Lifting your foot off the gas unlocks the converter too.
Guess that's why the "Crusher" doesn't want to lift his foot untill he
has to stop. Must be worried about "burning out the clutch"

Maybe you and Harry and a couple others who can't drive and use two
feet have no interest in how well you drive or how defensively you
drive but some of us do.

==
Probably the best way to defensive drive is to stay off the roads and
highways when some "elitist" know-it-all is practicing his left foot
dance over the brake pedal and consequently following too closely as
he thinks (or knows) that he has an advantage of a couple of seconds
over me in his braking reaction. So, next time you venture forth, post
a sign in your window stating that a LF driver is about.

==

Please quote where I have ever said I follow closer then anyone else.
The only "elitist" know-it-all's here are harry and clare who claim to
know what's best for everyone else. I've just stated my preference,
I've never said I think you or anyone else is a hazard if you don't do
it my way. But you and harry and clare and a few others keep claiming
ANYONE who LFB is a hazard - you folks are the very epitome of
"elitist" know-it-all's