Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sparks Fergusson Sparks Fergusson is offline

Default Air Compressor Problem - Motor Stalls

(GregS) wrote:

With all the talk, I would have liked to hear the final answer to
the story. Is the compressor working yet. Its
been a long time.

Um...can I phone a friend? :-)

Ok, here's the status. I have disassembled the motor. I have found the
following:

* The windings appear to all be in good shape. I don't see anything
obviously open or burned.

* The bearing surfaces are all in good shape.

* The contacts of the centrifugal switch are badly carbonized. I will
clean those up before reassembly.

* I have ordered a replacement start capacitor. I don't have a
capacitor tester, but for $5, why not just replace it, eh?

* The thermal overload tests OK (dead short,) but I can't easily test
it under load.

* The rotor showed no evidence of hitting the stator and appeared
undamaged.

I will clean all the connections before reassembly, although all
looked fairly good already. I'll also measure to make sure I have good
continuity through all the windings. Hopefully, that should get things
going again. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

I'll post another update when I get it all back together.

Thanks!