Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default OT More examples of generosity from President Obama

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 3/19/2010 2:09 PM, John R. Carroll wrote:
wrote in message

That just goes to show you what can be done to provide health care for
people without it costing a fortune even the most minor procedures. It's
clearly time to change what we have been doing. Looks like it is finally
going to happen this weekend too, and the republicans are just sick I tell
you, just sick, at the prospect of the current system coming to an end. I,
on the other hand, am beaming.

"This is the largest tax bill in history," the Republican leader fumed. The
reform "is unjust, unworkable, stupidly drafted and wastefully financed."

And that wasn't all. This "cruel hoax," he said, this "folly" of "bungling
and waste," compared poorly to the "much less expensive" and "practical
measures" favored by the Republicans.

"We must repeal," the GOP leader argued. "The Republican Party is pledged to
do this."

That was Republican presidential nominee Alf Landon in a September 1936
campaign speech. He based his bid for the White House on repealing Social
Security.

Bad call, Alf. Republicans lost that presidential election in a landslide.
By the time they finally regained the White House -- 16 years later -- their
nominee, Dwight Eisenhower, had abandoned the party's repeal platform.

This is probably the single biggest reason that the health-care bill will
become law. I know it's the reason Republican's would like to kill it. It is
going to be a terrible year (2010) for incumbents but both parties will bear
that cross - and deservedly so.

JC