Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default How big are surveyor pegs

In article , (mm) writes:

| How big are surveyor pegs?
|
| I've made arrangement to borrow a metal detector in the hope of
| finding one or more surveyor pegs. I'm at the corner of the
| development, so the original property was surveyed and perhaps pegged
| at my corner, and the previous owner of my house had his own survey,
| which might have resulted in pegs.
|
| So it occurs to me, if and when I find the peg, how do other people
| know I haven't moved it? My neighbor is suspicious enough to think I
| might do that.
|
| How long is it? Regardless, surely it can be removed with hand tools.
| And replaced 6 inches away. Hey! How do I know he didn't do that
| already?
|
| There has already been one survey here. I don't want to pay for a
| second.

There's another problem even if you find some pegs. Without a survey
that references them you don't really know what they mean. For example,
I have a peg that could very well be the lot corner but is actually about
six inches off (funny you should mention that number). The last time I
had a survey done they mentioned this but the scale of their drawing was
such that the displacement was invisible. (I asked for and received a
detail drawing that makes it clear.) There is another peg that you might
think was on the rear lot line but is actually a few feet off. N.B. I
don't think these pegs were errors nor has the line moved due to better
technology; they just weren't being used for the obvious purpose.

I believe it's bad form (perhaps even illegal) to remove pegs even if
they are confusing, so they tend to accumulate. I don't think a survey
becomes public record unless it is recorded. If you are lucky the caps
indicate which surveyor drove the pegs, but I don't know that they would
tell you about the related survey if somebody else paid for it. At least
if you can match the caps you might be able to figure out which pegs were
driven at the same time.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com