Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default How big are surveyor pegs

mm wrote the following:
How big are surveyor pegs?

I've made arrangement to borrow a metal detector in the hope of
finding one or more surveyor pegs. I'm at the corner of the
development, so the original property was surveyed and perhaps pegged
at my corner, and the previous owner of my house had his own survey,
which might have resulted in pegs.

So it occurs to me, if and when I find the peg, how do other people
know I haven't moved it? My neighbor is suspicious enough to think I
might do that.

How long is it? Regardless, surely it can be removed with hand tools.
And replaced 6 inches away. Hey! How do I know he didn't do that
already?

There has already been one survey here. I don't want to pay for a
second.

It depends upon whether the surveyor put in metal markers at all.
Sometimes it may just be a piece of wood lath with a red plastic strip
tied around it.
I've had my property surveyed at least twice since I bought the property
26 years ago.
When I bought the property there only one visible marker and that was a
1" galvanized pipe imbedded in concrete on the road side of the
property. It was so old that the pipe was gone, leaving just a rusty
stub in the concrete.I later broke the stub off so I wouldn't get a flat
on my garden tractor when mowing.
I needed a new survey before I could build the house for the building
inspector to check setbacks. They used the lath.
A couple of years later, I needed a new survey to install an in-ground
pool, also to check for setbacks.
For this last survey I paid a little extra to have rebar markers set at
the corners.
I can still find 3 of the markers, but the 4th one is in a wooded area
and fallen leaves, trees, branches, and other natural debris have
covered it pretty well.
I can't use a metal detector because there is an old metal fence and a
piece of farming equipment buried just about where I figure the marker
should be. I already tried with a neighbor's detector.
It's not really important to find that one, since the woods drop down
into a small heavily wooded valley, so nothing could be built there.
Even if they could build, they would have to find the marker, not me.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY