Posted to uk.d-i-y
BillW50 BillW50 is offline

Default New Laptop - which flavour of Windows? (and other issues)

In ,
The Natural Philosopher typed on Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:25:58 +0000:
Doesn't run any better?

Christ how on earth do you manage to make it crash every day?

The LONGEST I have had windows running is about 2 days. My Linux is
dictated generally by the time between kernel upgrades, or a power
cut, whichever is the sooner. That's the only time it ever gets
rebooted. Unless I mess up its config and screw it beyond immediate
redemption.
And it has never messed up so bad it needed reinstallation, except
with definite terminal hardware problems.

Rssntalling windows is a two monthly exercise for most of my friends
who use it as a desktop.

Reinstalling Windows? That is the wrong way to do things. I install them
once and that is it. I make backups and if the hard drive fails or
something, just restore it to another hard drive. I have 4TB of external
drive space so making multiple backups are easy and I can make as many I
would like too without problems of running out of space. And you are
back up and running in about 20 minutes or less.

Only had Windows running for two days tops? Gee mine don't get rebooted
for months at a time. Some of them for years at a time. Even when I was
running Windows 98, I wouldn't have to reboot for about every 2 months
and that was it.

Linux? Well Xandros crashes all of the time. So that one isn't so good.
Ubuntu doesn't crash too often, but there is very limited applications
and games for Linux. Plus Linux is terrible in the multimedia
department. So Linux isn't so hot of an OS anyway. As I still think of
Linux as just a glorified PDA OS. As that is about all it is good for
anyway. Just those simple computing tasks.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2