Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_5_] Steve B[_5_] is offline

Default Cheap breathing apparatus

"Bob F" wrote in message
mike wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:16 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

I was thinking it should be easy to find some $40 fan/pump that
would deliver low-pressure air from a clean air location, via hose,
to a mask.

Not so. They all seem to want many hundreds of dollars.

What gives? I'm not asking suck air through a garden hose, but this
doesn't seem like a big feat of engineering. I don't even need HEPA
filters.

On second thought, one of those air mattress inflators, the high
volume low pressure things would work with a surplus gas mask. You
may have to put an inline valve to vary the pressure. Just enough to
keep out the crud you are trying to keep out.

Steve

Steve

Yeah, an air mattress inflator just might work. I can just adapt some
cheap respirator mask, as I don't need it over my eyes. I'll probably
drill a hole in the mask to allow overpressure out, if needed.

Just get a cheap (used?) small squirrel cage blower and a length of vacuum
cleaner hose, (or plastic flex conduit, orsump pump hose or ??)

Blower could be an old bathroom fan, furnace inducer blower. For short
term use, an old hair dryer could work.

Great minds think alike. My thoughts, exactly. If you used a hair dryer on
no heat, you could just put a hose on it with a hose clamp. Might even
plumb into the hose on a surplus gas mask.

Great idea.

Steve