Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Repairing a sliding glass door

On Mar 16, 5:05*pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:10:13 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
Ah yes, sliding glass doors. *The guy who invented those abortions
should be hung!. *My wife insisted on one when I put on a big
additions. *I argued against it but lost. *We have _both_ been cussing
it for 30 years and I am about to bit the bullet and replace with a
standard door at a cost of around $1200. *Yes, ours was one of the
quality brands.

Maybe the problem was a poor quality install? Sure beats all the
cussing when installed correctly.

Constant cleaning of the track, reepeated 'replace the rollers' fun,
hard to securely lock, pee poor seals at best, etc., etc.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Yes it was insstalled correctly and is still four square after all
these years. The maintenance on it is about what can be expected from
any sliding type equipment over that span of years and the _really_
mickey mouse lock mechanism. The ending point is the seals. No
matter how good the installation is you are still stuck with jus a
very thin "brushes" to seal it.

My point is that everythign on a slider is a poor solution/choice over
a standard door or french door.

Curious. Do you have or had a slider? Most people I have talked to
over the years about the subject who lived with one swore they would
never do it again give a choice.

Harry K