Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bernard Peek Bernard Peek is offline

Default New Laptop - which flavour of Windows? (and other issues)

On 18/03/10 16:14, Bill wrote:

I'd recommend it [Linux] for that, but not for someone who wanted a normal
general purpose laptop.

I might recommend it, with reservations. If someone was completely new
computers I might recommend Linux. It's no more difficult to learn *from
scratch* than Windows is. If you already know Windows then you have a
lot to unlearn before you can be reasonably proficient with Linux. Linux
is not Windows.

Support for Linux is growing and we are starting to see manufacturers
providing support. As they do that it becomes easier to adopt. As that
happens more people will use it. That encourages more manufacturers to
support it.

It's clear that Linux has reached the point where a company could decide
to become a Windows-free organisation. What doesn't currently make sense
is for an organisation that has Windows systems to take on the added
burden of a second system that requires different support skills.

--
Bernard Peek