Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Fertilizer

On Mar 17, 8:17*pm, LSMFT wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:27:26 -0500, *wrote:

LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

All fertilizer may be a total waste unless you have a set of soil
samples telling you what the ground lacks (if anything). *Lime, unless
your solid is excessively acidic, falls in the same category.

Obvious bull****. *The act of sampling the soil does not make it deficient.

It's easy to tell fertilized grass from unfertilized grass. *Try missing a
stripe. *You'll see where you missed the next day. *Want to **** someone off?
Write in their lawn with fertilizer.

I agree. All soil becomes deficient and acidic after a time. You can
tell weak, slow growing and faded green grass from freshly fertilized.
I was just wondering what the phosphorous does or doesn't. I know too
much can run off into streams and make algae but.....a little must be
needed. Why else was it used in the first place?

--
LSMFT

Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
* *And you too can become a fracking prick..............

As to all laws become acidic after a time, I'm going to call B.S. on
that one. It really depends on where you live. I live on a limestone
bed, and I wish it would get acidic, but no such luck. I have amazing
results for alkaline loving plants, of which there are few, many are
tolerant, and those do ok, acid loving plants, can be grown if you
treat the soil, vinegar works well, in the short term, I've never
found anything that works well, long term.