Posted to sci.electronics.repair
evilaltima evilaltima is offline

Default Willing to Pay for Proper Korg DW-8000 Analog Synthesizer RepairDiagnostic

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I did initially think the relay
might be problematic, but it has always has made a clicking sound when
I powered it up. I still took the advice and cleaned it up a bit just
in case there was a contact issue. Still no luck.

Another interesting thing --as well as having no volume and strangely
behaving tuner slider, the arpeggiator slider also does nothing - just
like the volume. When functioning, the arpeggiator slider slows and
speeds up the red LED which correlates to the resistance of that
slider and the speed of the arpeggiator. However, even though I can
read it with my multimeter -- just like I can the volume slider, the
LED speed does not increase or decrease perhaps indicating a common
fault.

I'm at a loss to think what might be affecting the functionality of
all three of the sliders. I thought maybe the IC on the board might
have something to do with it, but looking at the PDF, although it
could potentially be a source of no volume, I don't think it would
affect the other two sliders.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...HI/M5216L.html

Thanks again for the help!

On Mar 17, 7:16*pm, "David Farber" wrote:
Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
evilaltima wrote:
I am not getting proper audio out of an old synthesizer.\

Ya know, just from looking at the back side of the PC board
I'd suspect that the relay might be part of the problem.

You might be able to pull the plastic cover off of it and
manually operate it either up or down depending on which
way it's stuck.

Jeff

Yep, I've seen very similar relays in the old SAE equipment. Pop off the lid
of the relay and use a burnishing tool to clean the contacts. That should
fix it right up. In fact, before you even do that, just tap on the relay
with it powered up and see if the sound doesn't come back to normal for a
while. Of course watch what you're doing with the set powered on.

Good luck.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center