Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fertilizer

"LSMFT" wrote

I agree. All soil becomes deficient and acidic after a time. You can tell
weak, slow growing and faded green grass from freshly fertilized.
I was just wondering what the phosphorous does or doesn't. I know too much
can run off into streams and make algae but.....a little must be needed.
Why else was it used in the first place?

--
LSMFT

Phosphorous helps growth and is a needed mineral. The downside is that it
also makes the algae blooms in lakes. It is also found in your body to
help metabolize fats and carbohydrates. Every living thing has some
phosphorous in it. Since I am neither a chemist or biologist, that is the
extent of my knowledge of the material.

The real problems is people that over fertilize thinking that if a little is
good, a lot must be better. All that stuff you d ump on the lawn eventually
works down to the water underground so I use it maybe once a year. A
couple of weeds or a brown patch is not a big deal.