Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

On 3/17/2010 11:19 AM, wrote:
Next peeve, someone around here has taken to putting black stain on
knotty pine in cabinets. ?? I have seen this in very expensive
houses, and it absolutely looks like crap.

A few years ago my wife and I purchased an antique bookshelf (with two bottom
drawers) at the annual antiques fair in Round Top Texas. It has a _very_ nice
design and construction, but the damn thing is just COATED with that black crap
you see on so many old pieces (what IS that ****, anyway?), and I hate the look
of it; every time I walk by it I see a refinish project in my future.

So why did we buy it, you ask? The damn thing is made of SOLID Honduras
Mahogany, every last piece! The sides and back are all rail and stile with
raised panels, and even the drawer bottoms are solid raised panels. No plywood
or poplar anywhere; all solid Mahogany. If I was able to find that much
rough-cut HM at my local supplier today it would cost me at least $300,
probably more. Gave the vendor a $100 bill and drove off. Neener! :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/