Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default shrink wrap storm windows?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:02:49 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Mar 17, 12:49Â*pm, TimR wrote:
This isn't sounding good. Â*The first two replies fail to report any
decent results. Â*If this keeps up maybe I won't waste the effort.

Maybe I need to build something more substantial with real panes.

...or replace the windows.

Even if you build "something more substantial with real panes" you'll
need a way to seal them to the windows. If you don't create a dead-air
space, you won't gain anything.

Our back door just had single-glazing. I found a whole bunch of storm
windows with aluminum frames at the local building recyclers - nice thing
about those is that the frames come apart and can be cut (along with
their rubber seals) to whatever size you want.

I made a new frame the right size for that back door, cut the glass, then
put some foam sealant on the 'new' frame and screwed it directly to the
door. Works a treat (we used to get ice on the inside of the glass in
winter prior to that :-)

Total job only took me about 30 minutes, and the original storm windows
were only 50 cents each...

cheers

Jules